Formative Culture: Lessons From the Dragonfly



Check back here for ideas on how to easily and efficiently inform instruction by formatively assessing student mastery throughout the learning process.

Lessons From the Dragonfly:  A Reflection on My Visit to Dixon Road

Submitted by Jenna McKeel, Director of School Improvement

Dixon Road Elementary was one of only six schools who exceeded growth last year in the county. I visited the school with the intent to learn about their tools and tricks to formatively assess progress for students: their gold nuggets for success, if you will.

I spent time with Michelle Toboas, 3rd grade teacher, Whitney Jackson, 5th grade teacher, Leigh Ann Freeman, TLC, Leslie Pope, Curriculum Coach, and the dynamic duo administrative team, Kenneth Bennett and Amy Creed.

I loved every moment of our group interview.  But I left with one little problem; they were not giving me what I wanted to hear. They were not giving me my gold nuggets.  Every strategy and practice they offered I had heard before.   I even thought to myself during our time together: ”But what about you makes you DIFFERENT?  What makes your school unique?”

Then it hit me. I came there to find easy solutions to formative assessment. I came there to figure out the “game” of exceeding growth. In essence, I came for the WRONG reasons. <Insert emoji with the hand over the face in disappointment>. How could I go in with such silly intentions? What was I thinking?

After enjoying lunch in the cafeteria with some of their awesome students, I got into my car and began reflecting on myself, and my intentions. I decided to do a little more research on the dragonfly.  As it turns out, the characteristics of the dragonfly include, but are not limited to the following:  Adaptable, Mature, Joyful, Clear, Powerful, Illuminating.

<insert epiphany>: Dixon Road Dragonflies ARE Adaptable, Mature, Clear, Powerful, and  Illuminating. THESE were the nuggets.  See if you agree with the connections I began to make, below.


Gold Nugget #1: Adaptability


In my interview, I heard the following from 5th grade teacher, Whitney Jackson:

“We have scooped (ourselves) out of the comfort pond and placed (ourselves) into the ocean… and we do not realize all that is out there… Seeing the kids enjoy it, you realize it is not about you, and it motivates you to be happy to step out of your comfort zone.”

Curriculum coach Leslie Pope mentioned that she had to have a moment of “this is too much for me…” and realized that “ you have to give people the chance to say this is crazy.”

Takeaway: Adaptability is crucial to survival. Having an environment that is safe to verbalize experiences with adaptations is vital to the success of the teacher “species”.   This includes leaders - be prepared to adapt to your teachers’ needs and perspectives.


Gold Nugget #2: Maturity


Assistant Principal Amy Creed mentioned that at Dixon Road, “PLC’s have become focused and intentional.” Each PLC has co-constructed scorecards for tracking formative progress, creating some stellar and empowered teams.

Takeaway: Mature judgement is a needed  focal point in PLC’s. The work of these teams has to be based on slow,careful, and targeted consideration, paired with accountability. The mature function of these collaborative teams is not about compliance to PLC expectations. Rather it comes from co-created ownership from all participants.

Gold Nugget #3: Clarity


3rd Grade Teacher Michelle Taboas had this to say about the school’s data becoming “richer”:

“We have richer resources (including coaches) to break student learning gaps down further… research based strategies… I don’t feel like I’m winging it… I feel more effective than just guessing what they need.”

Takeaway: Prescribing student needs is a tough responsibility. We all know the one-size-fits-all model is a thing of the past. Our “wealth” of data does not always mean it can help us to break student learning gaps down further. Rather, it begins with clarifying success criteria for students.

  • What does it mean?
  • What behaviors might you observe from a student?
  • What might students be able to articulate?
  • How can it presented to students?
  • How can students co-develop success?

These more specific questions bring clarity to Dixon Road and ensure the support resources are used more confidently. 


Gold Nugget #4: Powerful


At Dixon Road, teacher power is translating to student empowerment. Staff members work to combat learned helplessness and teach students to think. Teachers here realize they have to step out of the pacing guide and be confident that they know what students need. In doing so, the staff gives power to the students to figure things out on their own, facilitated by intentional questions from teachers.

Takeaway: Teachers are powerful… but power does not mean authority in the business of school. It is about having the power to change student mindset and empower them through their learning to be leaders of their own learning.


Gold Nugget #5: Illuminating


My experience illuminated the moment I stepped into the Dragonfly cafeteria, full of students wearing bow ties on this day for Mr. Bennett’s birthday. I sat down with 4 to 5 different tables of students. At every single table - without a prompt from me- students were talking about SCHOOL! Specifically, they were talking about what they were learning and ENJOYING in their classes. Keep in mind, this visit was State Fair season, Halloween time, and on a Friday. With all of these external factors, students were still talking about SCHOOL!

Mrs. Jackson summed it up best:

“If students pass the test, but leave for the summer hating school, then we have won the battle, but we have lost the war.”

Takeaway: Teachers light up the world for students. They provide a flashlight for those dark, uncertain paths. Teachers have the power to create lasting memories and conversations with friends and family.

--------------------------------------------

The Dixon Road Dragonflies changed my perspective: If you want a sound system and metric for formative progress and growth, it starts with culture. What golden nuggets might your school and/or classroom possess to promote formative culture?



“The Dragonfly Effect”

Gadeberg, M. (n.d.). Retrieved December 07, 2017, from http://storylandcommunications.com/2011/02/storytelling-and-the-dragonfly-effect/



A dragonfly symbolizes a change in perspective of yourself.  To say this was accurate about my visit to Dixon Road would be an understatement. My time spent on Dixon Road Dragonfly wings sparked self-reflection… instantaneous thoughts that led to changes in the way I operate.   Hopefully, some of their ideas and insights can provide the same positive self-reflection for others...

Comments